There is a Chinese version of the ebook website with many titles translated into Chinese. Change from English to Chinese near the top of the screen.
Please note this does not work with earlier versions of Internet Explorer. Please view through the Firefox or Chrome browsers.
What you need to know
This 24/7 ebook service is free and is designed to be used by library members outside the library. Due to licensing restrictions, this service is available only to members who live, work or are currently being educated in Birmingham.
You can download fiction, non-fiction and children's books to an e-reader, mobile phone, PC or tablet PC. We do not yet have a licence for use with a Kindle in the UK.
You will need a current full library card to create your account.
If your card has expired you will need to re-register at your local library.
If you have been issued with a new or replacement library card then email email@example.com stating your new card number so that we can create your account.
Sign in with the usual library card login - without spaces and missing off the last two numbers or letters. Please note. If you have a new Library of Birmingham card, you don't need to leave off the last two numbers.
If you experience any issues with your card number then please contact us.
You will also need to get an Adobe ID in order to download the Adobe Digital Editions software required to download the ebooks. This is explained on the site when you start downloading.
What can I download to ?
You'll find a list of compatible devices and which formats they can use at www.overdrive.com/resources/drc. We have bought the EPUB and PDF formats. We have recently bought some WMA audiobooks too.
You can download up to three titles at a time and can choose between a 14 day and 21 day loan period. At the end of this period, the ebook will stop working.
If the title you want has already been downloaded, you can add your name to the Waiting List.
You'll be notified by e-mail when the ebook is ready and you have just 3 days to download it before it’s returned to the collection.
How do I return eBooks early?
Adobe ebooks can be returned early using Adobe Digital Editions. To return Adobe ebooks early.
1. Open Adobe Digital Editions on your computer
2. Select the 'Library View' icon (this is the image of books in the upper left corner).
3. The Adobe Digital Editions library is displayed.
4. Under the 'Bookshelves' heading, select 'Borrowed'.
5. Click on the ebook you want to return.
6. Click the 'Item Options' arrow (in the upper left corner of the selected ebook).
7. Select 'Return Borrowed Item' from the drop-down list.
8. Click 'Return' to verify that you want to return the title or ‘Cancel’ if you do not want to return this ebook.
The ebook is now returned.
* ebooks can also be returned early using the latest OverDrive Media Console app (v22.214.171.124) for Android.