1895 - Rhoda Anstey qualified as a teacher of gymnastics and a medical gymnast from the Bergman-Österberg College (later known as Dartford College). She started the “Hygienic Home for Ladies” at New Cross Farm in Somerset.
1897 - Rhoda as Owner and Principal founded Anstey College and moved the college to “The Leasowes” in Halesowen. She enrolled three students who took a two-year training course and qualified as gymnastic teachers.
1898 - The possibility of a teachers association for Ling trained teachers was discussed at meeting hosted at Anstey – The Leasowes.
1899 - ‘Ling Association’ founded. Rhoda Anstey a founder member.
1900 - “Vis Atque Gratia Harmoniaque” (Strength together with Grace and Harmony) adopted as college motto.
1901 - Margaret Cadbury graduated in the second set of four students.
1903 - First College Magazine produced.
1904 - ‘Ling Association’ gained award bearing powers – “Ling Association Diploma”.
1907 - Anstey College moved to Yew Tree House in Chester Road, Erdington, home for students and staff until 1981.
1910 and 1911 - Rhoda Anstey led her staff and students to support the Suffrage Demonstrations in London.
1911 - Anstey Old Students’ Association (AOSA) was founded during the Ling Christmas Course at St. Paul’s Girls’ School, London, Rhoda Anstey President.
1913 - First Old Students Reunion in London, twenty-five attended.
1914 -to 1918 - War years – College continued but limited.
1918 to 1919 - Rhoda Anstey taken ill and took semi-retirement in Cheltenham.
1919 - Three year training course started Informal adoption of 3 children 1927 formally adopted.
1920 - Joint Principals – Rhoda Anstey and Ida Bridgman (who took over the day-to-day running of the college).
1921 - Christmas Teas (AOSA) were started on a regular basis during the Ling Christmas Course in London.
1922 - Chartered Society for Massage and Medical Gymnastics (C.S.M.M.G.) participated in examining the Medical Gymnastics Remedial work. Membership granted to students for the conjoint Examinations.
1924 - Marion Squire (Bedford 1913-1915) was appointed to the Anstey staff.
1927 - Marion Squire appointed Principal (1927-1955) Rhoda Anstey and Ida Bridgman remained as Co-Directors until 1930 when Marion Squire completed the financial transaction of ownership.
A key meeting with the University of London, the Ling Association, Anstey, Bedford, Chelsea and Dartford Colleges petitioned the University to be allowed to award a Degree or a Diploma Certificate.
1930 - University of London approved the award of a Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Physical Education and the first examinations took place eg Chelsea. (First Anstey students were examined for Part 1 1935, Part 2 1936 – first 3 students qualified this year.)
1935 to 1950
1935 - Anstey College represented England at the Brussels Exhibition. ( Congress Internationale de L’Education Physique)
1936 - Death of Rhoda Anstey, aged 71 years. She was buried in Cheltenham. Three Anstey students awarded the University of London Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Physical Education.
1937 - Anstey Students participated in the Demonstration of Festival of Youth at Wembley.
The Recreation Leaders Course was established at Anstey.
1938 - Muriel Webster appointed to the College Staff. Anstey student (1925-1928) she took over dance from Helen Wingrave.
1939 - Stockholm Lingiad - six students from five of the Women’s Physical Education Colleges represented Great Britain. The Lingiad was only six weeks before the Second World War was declared. Marion Squire invited Rudolph Laban and Lisa Ullman to develop a Movement Centre in England at Anstey. The centre was eventually developed in Manchester.
1939 to 1945 - Second World War. College continued but with limitations. The AOSA Magazines became smaller with no cover piece to help the War Effort. Old students also joined ATS, WAAF, WRENS, WLA etc and raised money for the Red Cross.
1944 - Name of Central Council of Recreation and Physical Training(CCRPT) changed to Central Council of Physical Recreation (CCPR). The CCPR was invited to extend its activities to Scotland by the Scottish Education Department and May Brown (Webster) (Anstey Student 1921) became the Scottish Secretary.
1945 - Presentation of London Diploma in the Royal Albert Hall – Barbara Blossom attended to receive her award.
1946 - The end of the conjoint award. CSMMG had become CSP (Chartered society of physiotherapists) which had also been available to students from 1922 and the Ling Diploma also discontinued. Audrey Bambra a former student (1935-1938) joined the staff in 1946 to 1949 (full time) and 1950 (part time). She later went on to become the Principal of Chelsea College of Physical Education.
1947 - Anstey’s 50th Birthday Jubilee Celebration Luncheon at Normandie Hotel, London. Sophie Macready nee Knight (1897-1899) spoke of her time as one of first three students of Anstey at Leasowes. Anstey Physical Training College (APTC) became known as Anstey College of Physical Education(ACPE). Students Union formed.
1949 - Four Anstey students members of Great Britain team at the Lingiad Gymnastic Festival, Stockholm. Third Years to Glenmore Lodge in the Scottish Centre for Outdoor Training. Students had to pay their fees and expenses for the fortnight until 1955 when the Local Education Authority (LEA) paid. C. Muriel Webster had supported the establishment of the International Association of Physical Education and Sport for Girls and Women (IAPESGW in 1949) and was Vice President 1957 – 1973.
1950 to 1970
1951 - Last year of London Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Physical Education.
1952 - Third year students awarded the University of Birmingham Institute of Education, Certificate in Education.
1955 - Anstey’s second year students attend Lilleshall National Recreation Centre for a one week’s Athletics Course.
C. Marion Squire retired.
Audrey Hobbs (Bedford 1921-24) and Muriel Webster (Anstey 1925-28 and Anstey staff from 1938) appointed Joint Principals.
With financial and administrative difficulties Anstey became a maintained College administered by Staffordshire Education Authority with Mr Browning as Clerk to the College Council. This followed detailed discussions between Ministry of Education, Staffs Council Officers, Marion Squire.
The Ministry of Education agreed to a stay of execution for seven years 1955 - 1962. Anstey was the last Women’s College of Physical Education to lose its independence.
1958 - Anstey students perform gymnastics demonstration at the International Conference at Cardiff preceding the Commonwealth Games.
Muriel Webster appointed Chair of Association of Principals of Women’s Colleges of Physical Education (APWCPE) 1958-1960.
1959 - Students’ Union decided to discontinue using the Anstey Badge.
1960 - Collaboration with Saltley College, students attended a drama course at Saltley as one of the second year options . The first combined college dances started at Anstey.
1961 - First year students’ camp at Nash Court in Shropshire.
1962 - Number of students in college increased to 104.
1964 - Miss Hobbs retired. Miss Webster continued as Principal until 1969.
1965 - Last Anstey Magazine.
1965 to 1966 - First students able to register for Bachelor of Education Degree awarded by the University of Birmingham after studying a four year course (three year certificate course plus one year Educational Studies. – Education, PE and Teaching Methods). First male member of staff Reginald Howlett. Appointed as Senior Dance Lecturer
1966 - 1969 DES approve merger between Anstey and Madeley (Staffs) – (it never happened).
1967 - Marion Squire died. Anstey no longer viable. DES approval merger of the two college councils to transfer Anstey to Madeley (it never happened).
1969 - Muriel Webster retired after 34 years at Anstey as a student (1925-28), member of the staff from 1938, Joint Principal with Miss Hobbs from 1955 to 1964, sole Principal to 1969. Ida Webb, (Anstey student 1947-50), was appointed Principal.
1970 - 4 year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) awarded. First Year Camp at Coniston in The Lake District. Two students selected as members of the British Team demonstrating Educational Dance and Gymnastics in Tokyo at 6th IAPESGW Congress.
1971 to 2007
1971 - Anstey Academic Board’s observations and recommendations were submitted to the James Enquiry on Higher Education.
An In-Service B.Ed. Course offered.
1972 - Anstey Old Students Association (AOSA) renamed the Anstey Association of Past and Present Students (AAPPS).
1973 - Anstey’s 75th Anniversary was celebrated. A 4 year B.Ed. with honours awarded.
At the 7th Congress IAPESGW, in Tehran, two Anstey students selected as members of the GB Team in Modern Education Dance and Gymnastics.
1974 - To commemorate the 75 th Anniversary Colin Crunden member of staff published “A History of Anstey College of Physical Education 1897-1972”.
1975 - Muriel Webster’s last year as President of AAPPS. Barbara Blossom (Anstey 1942-45) elected President.
1975 - Anstey incorporated into the City of Birmingham Polytechnic within the Centre for Teaching, Education and Training (CTET) as Anstey Department of Physical Education (ADPE).
Reginald Howlett appointed Head of Department 1975 – 1978 (on the staff 1966-75)
College Course validated by Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA).
1978 - Mike Rowe appointed Head of Anstey School in the City of Birmingham Polytechnic when Reginald Howlett retired.
1979 - London Summer Tea for AAPPS.
1981 - CNAA In-Service B.Ed. (PT) approved. Last Anstey lecturer appointed (Tansin Benn, ADPE became Anstey School of PE (ASPE).
arewell to Anstey- a meeting at which 8 Old Students spoke of their experiences of being Anstey students. Colin Crunden (Carnegie and 1969 Anstey staff) appointed last Head of Anstey School, City of B’ham Polytechnic until 1984. ANSTEY COLLEGE AT YEW TREE HOUSE CLOSED.
1984 - The AAPPS continued but changed its name to the Anstey Association (AA) so that old students/staff etc could continue with their connections at the General and Regional Meetings and Celebrations. Anstey School at the City of Birmingham Polytechnic closed
1985 - The Anstey Association had their last formal meeting at the Polytechnic.
1986 - 9 Regional Meetings of Anstey Association held around the country.
1987 - Celebration of 90th birthday of College at Crick.
1988 - Inauguration of Anstey Room, to house the College’s archives in Ravensbury House, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston
1991 - Anstey Association 80th birthday at Crick.
1997 - 100 years – a Centenary Celebration, at Crick for the foundation of Anstey College.
10th Region formed within the AA. Barbara Blossom (1942-1945) President AA from 1975 retired. Eizabeth Loughrey (Truman) (1949-52) elected President of the AA.
1998 - Nine new residential blocks for the University of Central England (formerly City of Birmingham Polytechnic) given names linked to Anstey’s history.
2001 - AA 90th birthday at Crick.
2004 - Elizabeth Loughrey President of AA retired. Nicki Phillips (Constant) (Anstey 1962-65) elected President.
2005 - Documentation of Anstey Archives relocation process to Birmingham City Archives at Birmingham Central Library began.
2007 - April 29th – 110th Anniversary at Crick to commemorate the foundation of the College